Summer in Vancouver goes fast. Before you know it, shorts, swimsuits and deck chairs are 50% off, Back to School ads are out, and the sun is down at 7 o’clock. So now is the time to make the most of summer with the kids. We’ve got ways to keep it simple, challenges for the kids (and you), local activities, summer getaways and more.
How to make the most of your Vancouver summer!
Keep it simple
The days are still long and light. If you’ve had a long day at work and the kids have been at camp, keep it simple. There’s plenty of sunshine after 5 pm, so head out to beach or playground with a picnic dinner (or take out) during the golden light. Snap some pics – this is the best light of the day and before you know it, it’s gone.
Set a fun summer challenge
Get the kids involved in these VERY FUN challenges.
- Hit all the outdoor pools with the kids, rate them and rank them if the kids are older.
- Visit 5 ice cream shops in Vancouver! Trust us there are at least that many!
- Spend the day at a million dollar playground. Hastings Park, Lions Park in Coquitlam or Terra Nova in Richmond all have spectacular playgrounds that the kids won’t want to leave.
Check out a new beach, hike or lake
- Have you been to Centennial beach in Boundary Bay or Barnet Marine Beach in Coquitlam? There are so many great beaches outside Vancouver.
- Go jump in a lake!
- Head out on a kid-friendly walk in the woods.
- Be a tourist in your own town: Check out our summer bucket list – 100 ideas of things to do in and around Metro Vancouver
Keep it affordable
There are deals to be had!
- Check out VancouverAttractions.com. You can Save up to 35% by booking several attractions at once such as Britannia Mine Museum, Stanley Park Horse Drawn Tours, Vancouver Art Gallery, Science World, Sea to Sky Gondola and more.
- Watch for free concerts and outdoor movies during the summer
Of note, there are free outdoor movies at Second Beach in Stanley Park every Tuesday night at sundown
Free concerts at the Pier in White Rock on Thursday nights, 7 pm.
Plan a family friendly getaway in BC
There are lots of great places to explore in BC with your kids (no plane tickets required!)
- Summerland Waterfront Resort on Okanagan Lake is one of the most family friendly places around. Summer kids club: Free kids and tweens club for guests with kids age 6+ (you can drop off your kids). They will keep them busy with outdoor activities all day long!
- Harrison Hot Springs: So much summer fun including a gigantic water slide out on the lake!
- Camping: It’s not really summer without at least one outing into the woods with the kids. Make sure you aren’t in wildfire country however.