In early May you nominated your favourite Vancouver mom bloggers for our 2013 Top 30 Vancouver Mom Bloggers honours. We reviewed them, narrowed them down to our Top 30, and introduced them all to you. These fabulous women join our 2010, 2011 and 2012 Top Vancouver Mom Bloggers, and we’re thrilled to recognize each one of them. But just for fun, we gave you a chance to vote for your favourite mom bloggers on our list. More than 5,000 votes were cast, and we’re pleased to announce that our winner is Mitzi Manansala of EastVan Baby!
Top Vancouver Mom Blogger Mitzi Manansala
In the end, more than 5000 votes were cast, and some 27% of them went to Mitzi. She held a commanding lead throughout the voting period, but since our results were secret until voting ended she had no idea that she was winning. Here’s what she had to say when we told her:
I was surprised when I first heard I was nominated alongside these beautiful, articulate, and insightful Vancouver women and mothers who blog. Who, me? First time parent! What do I know?! My blog started out as a private pregnancy diary, today it has blossomed into a space to share bits and pieces of what’s up with my little family. From pregnancy to raising a toddler, it’s been truly mind-blowing to receive love and support not only from my real life community but also from an online community! Thank you so much for voting and honouring me as Vancouver’s Top Mom Blogger of 2013. I am floored! Motherhood has been the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life, but no doubt my greatest blessing and accomplishment.
2013 Runners Up
Mitzi wasn’t the only blogger who received your support. A few other members of our 2013 Top 30 Vancouver Mom Bloggers list stood out. Runners-up in the voting were:
Runners up in the voting were:
- Raj Thandhi of Pink Chai Style – Raj Thandhi is a work at home mom, freelance writer, social (media) butterfly, and wanna-be movie star. She started Pink Chai Style in February 2011 to get out of a style slump; what resulted was a love affair with fashion, DIY’s and tea parties for one.
- Marnie Goldenberg of Sexplainer – Many years ago Marnie worked as a sexual health educator for Planned Parenthood of Toronto, and since then, when not working in senior leadership roles in the voluntary sector, she takes every opportunity to talk about sex to anyone who will listen. Marnie is particularly interested in supporting parents to raise sexually intelligent kids.
- Tamara Grand of fitknitchick – Tamara Grand is a BCRPA-certified personal trainer, group fitness and indoor cycling instructor, writer, wife, mother, and knitter extraordinaire. She lives with her husband and three children in beautiful Port Moody where she divides her time between knitting, exercise and keeping her family organized.
Top 30 Vancouver Mom Bloggers
We’d like to honour and celebrate each and every one of our 2013 Top Vancouver Mom Bloggers. During the nomination and voting period we could tell that you really love them. Now, we love them, too. To show our love, we’ll be throwing a party to celebrate them on June 19, 2012.
- Carolyn Bechard, Moments in Mommyland
- Joyelle Brandt, joyellebrandt.com
- Melissa Bruntlett, Velo Family Diaries
- Danielle Christopher, Motherless Moments
- Rebecca Coleman, The Art of the Business
- Salma Dinani, Real Life for Mom
- Kelly Duran, This Write Life
- Rose Dykstra, Simply Rose
- Lee-Anne Ekland, Mom Paradigm
- Karina Eva, Not Written in Stone with Karina Eva
- Shannon Fisher, truthfully.ca
- Marnie Goldenberg, Sexplainer
- Tamara Grand, fitknitchick
- Heather Hansen, Mother Your Business
- Cher Hanusiak, EcoBravo
- Melissa Keen, KeenMommy.com
- Sarah Kertcher, More Than Your Average Mom
- Sharilyn Kuehnel, Weekdays from Scratch
- Carrie Mac, Carrie Mac Writes
- Mitzi Manansala, East Van Baby
- Jackie Mandzak, Savvy Suburban Mama
- Shira McDermott, In Pursuit of More
- Christine Nielsen, Whine & Cheese
- Anupreet Sandhu Bhamra, SandhuBhamra.com
- Nikki Scott, Slow is the New Fast
- Amber Smith, The Momma Stuff Blog
- Pamela Smith, Divorce Doula
- Raj Thandhi, Pink Chai Style
- Nadia Venus, Mama and the City
- Shirley Weir, Menopause Chicks
All of our Top 30 Vancouver Mom Bloggers will be receiving some awesome prizes from our sponsors. As the overall winner, Mitzi is going to be receiving a fabulous grand prize, including:
- Experience two nights including dinner and breakfast for two at the breathtaking Painted Boat Resort Spa & Marina; nestled in a glade of Douglas Fir, Red Cedar and Arbutus trees. This luxurious five acre waterfront resort, just two hours from Vancouver features 31 spacious two bed room villas, fitness facility, fully appointed spa, infinity pool and hot tub that overlooks the ocean. Savour the flavours of the West Coast at THE RESTAURANT, which highlights fresh seafood and creative coastal cuisine. With new Head Chef – Marcus Bugoy – at the helm, the new menu will paint your palate with flavor. Valued at $1200
- A brand new iPad Mini and case from Telus. Valued at $390
- Chocolates for one year from Purdy’s Chocolates. Valued at $350
- One 24”x36” custom canvas from PiKaSSO KiDS, a Vancouver based company with an original concept. Starting with digital images of your kids’ drawings uploaded to their website, they take drawing elements; colour, recompose and carefully create a new and original design. Clients get to choose canvas size and colour options, make special requests, see a preview and even change their art before it ships. And it all gets printed on archival grade canvas with a money-back guarantee — shipped free of charge! Valued at $340
- A gift certificate and fashionista’s night out kit from Dedic8, a chic new concept store that redefines the experience of shopping for modern day moms. They carry a unique and eclectic line of jewelry, clothing, toys and household, plus 18% of every sale is donated to charity of the shopper’s choice. Moms can use this as a tool to help fundraise for their children’s schools or they may choose to channel their inner humanitarian and join the Dedic8 team as a fashionista. Fashionistas receive free items as well as portion of the sales as a thank you for their passion and dedication. The kit includes tools to host your own amazing shopping for the soul party. Valued at $300
- A free, super-fun 4Cats Paint Splatter birthday party at the Dunbar location. Join us to create your very own Jackson Pollock inspired painting. Possibilities are endless… be creative and have some fun! Let’s get together and throw some paint! Old clothes and shoes are a must. 4Cats also wants to offer their heartiest congratulations to all of the bloggers. Have a great time at the party and we will see you at the studio! Valued at $195
Contests like this would not be possible without the generous support of our sponsors. We’d like to recognize:
Congratulations to Mitzi Manansala, and all of our 2013 Top 30 Vancouver Mom Bloggers!
Amber Strocel is a writer, aspiring math teacher, suburbanite, wife and mom of two. She believes in the power of the Internet to connect people, and she believes that numbers are the poetry of the universe. You can often find her knitting, sewing, volunteering, working in her garden, and sneaking chocolate when no one's looking. She blogs at Strocel.com and shares her photos on Instagram as @AmberStrocel.