We’ve gone on the hunt for the Best of Vancouver many times. We’ve found great kids’ haircuts, fabulous newborn photographers, and more. And with summer officially here, the time seemed ripe for our next Best of Vancouver search: ice cream. This contest is just for fun – but it’s also serious business because we don’t take ice cream lightly. You nominated your favourites, and we narrowed them down to our top seven.
Best of Vancouver: Ice Cream Contenders
Here are the finalists, in alphabetical order:
- Bella Gelateria – Located at 1001 West Cordova Street in downtown Vancouver, this local favourite has a lot to recommend it. You told us that the owner and staff are passionate about ice cream. You said that they offer a variety of exotic flavours, made from scratch daily. You told us that the shop has an awesome atmosphere. Mostly, you just told us that it tastes great. How can we argue with that?
- Dolce Gelato – If you find yourself in White Rock, you might want to check out Dolce Gelato at 15045 Marine Drive. Open only during the warm months, they make all their Italian ice cream on the premises fresh every day. Look for unique seasonal flavours. You said that the service is great and the ice cream is to die for – plus the view of the beach across the street can’t be beat.
- Earnest Ice Cream – They say on their website, “We love ice cream and we take it, well, earnestly.” Made from local, seasonal ingredients in small batches and packaged in reusable glass jars, this is a Vancouver original. Look for them at Woodland Smokehouse, Harvest Community Foods and the Vancouver Farmers’ Market, or keep your eye out for their ice cream tricycle around town.
- Gelarmony – Formerly Mondo Gelato, this ice cream shop has two locations in Vancouver’s West End at 1222 Robson and 1094 Denman. You like their wide selection of rich flavours. You like getting two flavours in one scoop. You appreciate their reasonable prices. This shop is definitely worth a visit when you’re in the neighbourhood … and even if you’re not.
- Gelateria Dolce Amore – If you find yourself on the Drive, you might want to stop by Gelateria Dolce Amore at 1588 Commercial Drive. They offer only a few flavours made with care in-house from real ingredients. Those of you who love it say that when it comes to quality, it’s second-to-none, and any other ice cream is merely a pale imitation. We admit it, we’re intrigued.
- La Casa Gelato – Beside Strathcona Park, this East Vancouver favourite is at 1033 Venables. You love the variety of flavours (218 in store at any time!) and the free baby cones for kids two and under. You love their late night hours (perfect for pregnant ladies with cravings). You love that it’s a family-run business. Frankly, we see where you’re coming from.
- The Sweet Spot – Located at 110 – 12000 First Avenue in Steveston, The Sweet Spot is a bakery that also offers house made ice creams. You told us they have intense and satisfying flavours, including both unique and traditional offerings. Buy a small tub (or three) and take the ice cream home with you to enjoy all summer long.
Vote for the Best of Vancouver Ice Cream
We’ve shared the seven finalists, now it’s your turn. You can vote once for up to three of your favourites. The polls close on our search for the Best of Vancouver on July 4, 2012. Tell us where to go for the perfect scoop this summer!
Amber Strocel is a writer, aspiring math teacher, suburbanite, wife and mom of two. She believes in the power of the Internet to connect people, and she believes that numbers are the poetry of the universe. You can often find her knitting, sewing, volunteering, working in her garden, and sneaking chocolate when no one's looking. She blogs at Strocel.com and shares her photos on Instagram as @AmberStrocel.