Remember dates? Not the fruit and not the numbers in the calendar, but that other definition! For those who may forgotten – a date counts as any (semi) planned activity that involves you and your partner exclusive of kids or activities focused on: laundry, cleaning up, to do lists or your child’s needs. It’s okay, I too had check in with my pre mom brain on that one.
New moms and seasoned moms alike, life with kids is so full (substitute your choice of: chaotic, busy, scheduled, packed, exhausting) that the idea of finding time for just you and your partner can feel near impossible. There’s good news on the horizon though – it’s not too late to bring the excitement of dates back into your life.
Date night in Vancouver to last you all year!
Get a sitter and get out the door. Enjoy these date night ideas well past your little one’s bedtime.
- Catch a flick at Fifth Avenue Cinemas and pair it with an adult beverage – soak it up
- Go old school playing skeeball while sampling some delicious local beers at Bells and Whistles (3296 Fraser St)
- Get competitive at Commodore Bowling or Grandview Bowling Lanes – make a bet on who will roll the most strikes (winner: gets to sleep in the next day!)
- Spoil yourself and indulge with a tasting menu at Hawksworth restaurant
- Restaurant hop – head to gas town. Blood Alley is a great place to start.
- Catch a live show at the Commodore
- Not your usual aquarium visit –Check out a Night at the Aquarium filled with food, drinks and more
- Laugh till it hurts at the Comedy Mix down in Granville Island
- Enjoy the Vancouver scene – there are so many special events coming up.
- Become chefs together at the Dirty Apron cooking school
- Enjoy a cool cocktail and the most beautiful sushi platter at Raisu on West 4th
- Fill up on the appetizers they sample while you wait at Viji’s and then order your favourite or try something new
If you quite enjoy your partners face (or even just like it a little bit) then you won’t regret a little daytime face time with these date ideas.
- Breathe in the fresh air – head to Squamish to ride the Sea to Sky Gondola or make the hike up the Chief to catch some epic views
- Make pottery at HiDe Ceramics 90 min drop in class (2368 Alberta St)
- Coffee date – there are so many amazing coffee shops in the city. Pick one or three and enjoy adult conversation with your favourite cuppa something good (go big – and see if you can talk about topics other than your child for 50% of the time)
- Get fit together – try out a class at Eastwood Cycle or climb at the Hive
- Relax together at Footworks Reflexology (Point Grey or Kitsilano)- all the zen without the effort from either of you. Serenity has arrived!
- Get outside – go snowshoeing up at Grouse or Cypress Mountain
- Play tourist – go for a walk along the False Creek seawall, stop for pictures, make an impromptu stop at the Mahoney & Son’s for a bite
- Explore your cultural side at the latest Vancouver art gallery exhibit
- Check out the flowers as they start to blossom at Van Dusen Gardens
Whether you’ve got all night or only a few hours before your little one wakes up, try these ideas to make a night at home special. No babysitter required!
- Make dinner fun with Chef’s Plate – cook together without the hassle of having to pick and prepare all the ingredients. Light a candle and pair with a bottle of vino. Bon Appetit!
- Documentary and discussion – change up the usual topic of conversation by picking out a Netflix documentary to watch
- Make homemade sushi, eat it – and have leftovers for tomorrow! Pick up all the ingredients you need at
- Wine or beer tasting – just the two of your or invite another couple. Paper bag the bottles if you want to get serious about testing your taste buds.
- Netflix and chill – don’t forget the popcorn!
- Get zen with a yoga session – light some candles, lay out a yoga mat – improvise or make YouTube your own in-house instructor.