You can’t miss it: Black Friday is a big deal in Canada. While we’re still keeping it more low-key than our American neighbours, many, many, many retailers are offering deals to local shoppers. But is it all it’s cracked up to be? One report, commissioned by Vancity and reported in the Vancouver Sun, suggests that some Black Friday deals may just be smoke and mirrors. This doesn’t mean there aren’t good deals to be found, though. It just means you need to be a savvy shopper.
One way to be a savvy shopper is to stay home and shop in Vancouver on Black Friday. You’ll save money on gas and support local businesses while you kick off your holiday shopping. You also need to have a game plan. We have some tips from the folks at Coquitlam Centre to help you actually enjoy the Black Friday shopping experience.
Black Friday Shopping Tips
1. Start Fresh – Get plenty of sleep the night before, and have a great breakfast.
2. Arrive on Time – Make sure you know what hours your favourite store or mall is open, and set your alarm.
3. Make a Plan – Check out your favourite stores online, or drop by in advance, and make a list so that you buy what you need, and you know you’re getting a deal.
4. Dress The Part – Keep your hands free by using a cross-body bag. Also remember that early morning temperatures can be frosty, so dress for the weather, but without the bulk.
5. Refuel – Stay hydrated. Shopping means walking, and walking means you need water. Snack often, too. You’re more likely to make good shopping decisions when you don’t have low blood sugar.
6. Covet Your Coupons and Gift Cards – Don’t forget to bring along any coupons or special offer cards for stores you plan to visit on Black Friday. Those savings can add up!
7. Crowd Control – Leave the kids at home. Do yourself a big favour – a Black Friday shopping frenzy is no place for toddlers.
Where to Shop on Black Friday
Here are a few suggestions for Black Friday shopping in Metro Vancouver:
Businesses on West 4th will be offering great deals on Black Friday. Visit their site on November 27, 2014 to get the scoop. www.shopwest4th.com
The doors open extra early on Black Friday – at 7:00am – so set your alarm for the best finds. You can also win prizes for dressing well. www.pacificcentre.ca
Metropolis at Metrotown
It all starts at 7:00am, so once again you’ll want to set your alarm as participating retailers are offering door crasher deals that are only available until 10:00am. There are also special prizes up for grabs in the early hours. metropolisatmetrotown.com
The mall is open from 9:00am-10:00pm on Black Friday, though some stores like H&M and Target are opening earlier. You can scope out deals now on their website and plan your shopping. The mall will be giving away $5000 worth of gift cards with their “Get Spotted and Win” promotion as well. coquitlamcentre.com/real-deals
Amber Strocel is a writer, aspiring math teacher, suburbanite, wife and mom of two. She believes in the power of the Internet to connect people, and she believes that numbers are the poetry of the universe. You can often find her knitting, sewing, volunteering, working in her garden, and sneaking chocolate when no one's looking. She blogs at Strocel.com and shares her photos on Instagram as @AmberStrocel.