Even though the sun is shining and the return to “normal” feels within reach, happiness isn’t guaranteed. There is still a lot to stress about, and probably always will be, Moms have big feelings too. While we work through the anxiety of the heavy things slowly and intentionally, here are 21 things you can do right now that will boost your mood and put a smile on your face. You’re seconds away from a fresh outlook. Ready? Pick one. Go!
- Get outside and leave your phone inside – once you’re there, breathe deeply.
- Take a hot or cold shower – point the water directly at your face
- Send a friend a nice text message saying you’re thinking of them
- Google pictures of kittens or puppies
- Pick a 90s pop song (we suggest Spice Girls or Salt-n-Pepa) and turn it up LOUD
- Dance (like no one’s watching, even if you have little eyes on you)
- Pop a bottle of bubbles and pour a glass, celebrate yourself
- Buy a tub (or a cone) of the expensive ice cream – have seconds
- Watch a reality TV show
- Read something with pictures like a magazine or cookbook
- Plant something or water your garden
- Sweat – run, lift, stretch, move
- Hug someone (cuddling a pet or baby will do)
- Make a cup of fancy tea – drink it without looking at any devices
- Look at old vacation photos and dream about your next holiday
- Go for a walk and smile at a stranger – say hello if you’re feeling brave
- Listen to a podcast
- Brush your hair, put makeup on or paint your nails
- Journal, draw or colour
- Drink a big glass of cold water – add lemon or lime if you have one handy
Read also >> Five mood boosters for the bleak months
Jenn Wint is a writer, communications strategist and a public relations specialist. She is passionate about storytelling and community. Jenn lives in East Vancouver with her husband, 3yo son and 1yo daughter. You’ll find them hanging around Vancouver’s playgrounds, water parks, coffee shops and anywhere that bakes fresh cookies in-house!