What you can do at the mine!
Across the globe, few, if any, mines are open for the general public to inspect. Britannia is different.
Once the biggest copper mine in the British Empire, it’s been preserved as a National Historic site. Now, families climb aboard a rumbling mine train and chug into the dark. Inside and out of the tunnel, the mysteries of mining are explained, thanks to smiling, knowledgeable tour guides. Each one of them likes children, maybe because they never have to say “don’t touch”.
Britannia’s hands-on visit includes the fun of panning for gold (you find it, you keep it). A $14-million dollar transformation makes Britannia visitor-friendly. Because it is spread out over 10 acres, everyone can stretch their legs then re-charge in the cozy and comfortable coffee shop. Come with your family or book a guided group tour. Trip Advisor gave it 4 and a half stars. Chances are, you’ll agree.
Enter for a chance to win the following package:
- A ($140 value) Family Flex Pass, unlimited visits for any two adults and up to 3 youth for the entire year.
- $50 to the Britannia Mine Museum Company Store where you can pick up a unique souvenir or gift.
- $25 to the new Chatterbox Cafe where you can grab a cup of coffee, a bite to eat, and enjoy the beautiful Howe Sound view.
Don’t miss the I Heart Carbon Exhibit
As part of #Canada150, I Heart Carbon explores the future of carbon in Canada – how carbon impacts our daily lives, and innovations that are happening now!
- Discover how much of your body is carbon with our Carbon Scale
- Add your story to our message wall for future generations
- Explore ‘carbon-only’ materials
- Burn some ‘carbs’ on our bike
- Design your own robot
Britannia Mine Museum is a National Historic site and this summer’s greatest local adventure. Explore the history of the British Commonwealth’s largest copper mine, amid the stunning backdrop of Howe Sound. Ride the underground train, pan for gold, or check out their carbon exhibit today!