Best Kid-Friendly Holiday Events in Vancouver
Here’s a top ten of family events to enjoy this holiday season, both for the budget conscious and those determined to find the event with the biggest “wow factor”.
1. The Nutcracker – The Goh Ballet presents their beautifully rendered production of The Nutcracker at The Centre in Vancouver, December 15 to December 20. gohnutcracker.com
2. Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge – This is a personal favourite with beautiful lights against a stunning backdrop, and great value as all BC residents receive a seasons’ pass with the purchase of a single entry ticket. Ongoing through Jan. 5. capbridge.com
3. FlyOver Canada – Experience this “Ultimate Flying Ride” to the North Pole at Canada Place. Be sure to check out the vintage Woodward’s windows and giant snow globe. November 24 to January 2. flyovercanada.com
4. Grouse Mountain’s the Peak of Christmas – Visit Santa’s Workshop and meet Prancer, strap on skates, play in the snow, visit with Santa and enjoy the lights and snow. November 24 to January 2. grousemountain.com/peak-of-christmas
5. Spirit of Christmas at Sea to Sky Gondola – The Christmas festivities include snowshoeing, tubing, a forest walk, warm and cozy storytime. December 4 to January 3. seatoskygondola.com
Fun & Frugal
6. BC Children’s Hospital Festival of Trees – Vote for your favourite tree! November 25 until January 2 at Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver and the upper level of CF Pacific Centre Mall. bcchf.ca/events
7. Winter Solstice Lantern Festival – This community event is hosted in Strathcona, Yaletown and Granville Island to celebrate Winter Solstice with glowing lanterns. December 21. secretlantern.org/festival
8. Heritage Christmas at Burnaby Village Museum – Enjoy the old fashioned decorations, a holiday sing-along, beautiful lights and rides on the antique carousel. November 19 to January 2. burnabyvillagemuseum.ca
9. Wesbrook Village Balloon Winter Wonderland
The Wesbrook Welcome Centre is now a balloon winter wonderland. There’s also a giant lit christmas tree in the main square and plenty of festive shops and eateries to check out. The display runs daily until December 18th. discoverwesbrook.com
10. Roger’s Santa Claus Parade – Sunday December 4 starting at 12pm. rogerssantaclausparade.com
Elizabeth is a business planning guru who is passionate about working with female entrepreneurs, translating their big dreams into reality. Westcoast born and raised, she is lover of all things BC and needs a daily dose of nature to stay sane as a mother to three completely rambunctious children. She is a runner, a devoted drinker of coffee and wine, and committed to finishing last winter’s knitting project.