May 7, 2018: Crisp Media / Vancouver Mom CEO Christine Pilkington was on Global News discussing ways to raise feminist kids, both boys and girls. With recent movements in North America including #MeToo and #Timesup, parents are wondering how to talk to their kids about equality.
- Model equality as a couple and as a family.
- Point out instances of inequality when you see them.
- Discuss your privilege (and other things you noticed throughout the day) at the dinner table.
- Pay attention to the media, in particular ads directed at women’s beauty.
- Discuss stereotypes of boys, girls, men and women.
- Watch your words – (Dad’s don’t cook / boys don’t cry )
- Talking about bodies (avoid body shaming – just don’t)
- Let kids wear what they want.
- Underscore that who they are on the inside is the most important thing.
Check out this article by Hillary McBride >> Five ways to raise feminist boys and girls
See our Full list of media appearances.
To interview Crisp Media founder and CEO, Christine Pilkington, please email our media liaison Lori McGrath.