Returning to work after being on maternity leave, no matter the length of time is no easy task. Leaving your baby and returning to your career can often seem daunting and scary especially during a pandemic. Jessica Miles, Senior Recruiter at Vancouver-based Goldbeck Recruiting knows this all too well. As a new mother who has just recently returned back to work, Jessica has put together some tips and advice below to ease the transition.
Five tips back to work tips for moms after mat leave
- Connect with your manager or HR ahead of your return to discuss company policies surrounding COVID. This includes clarification about working from the office or remotely.
- Prior to your return back to work, review your resume and job description. It’s normal to forget the skills and experience you have built for yourself. This will give you confidence in knowing you are competent and will provide a refresher of your day-to-day role.
- If returning to an office environment, clean and organize your desk before diving into work. Additionally, get familiar with any new programs your company might be using by watching video tutorials or playing around with the program prior to your first day back.
- If you will be working from home, set up a designated work area, this will help reduce distractions. Lastly, remember to designate breaks for yourself. It’s easy to get caught up in work and not schedule an adequate lunch break.
- Structure your home life. This is especially important in the first few weeks back at work. Meal planning and pre-making and freezing some meals will be a lifesaver.
Jessica Miles is a Senior Recruiter at Vancouver-based Goldbeck Recruiting and new mom.