Big pumpkin patches, while fantastic in their scope and offerings, can be overwhelming for the smaller set. We talked to local mom Connie Hobbis, who is taking her family on a pumpkin patch tour around the Lower Mainland to discover lesser known hobby farms in support of our local BC Farmers.
They recently visited Hazelmere (AKA Gabriel Farms) Pumpkin Patch in South Surrey. Here’s what she had to say:
“When Farmer Sheri’s grandparents immigrated to Surrey in 1930 they purchased the original Gabriel Farms & lovingly grew the then cattle farm until 2001. When they retired, Granddaughter, Sheri and her husband, Chris Tompe took over the operations and planted their first pumpkin seed and named it the Hazelmere Pumpkin Patch.”
How to Plan Your Visit
- 20 acres of homestead land— HUGE farm here, guys!
Mini corn maze, petting zoo + large 2 acre pumpkin field (with ghost pumpkin varieties!)
- Several old tractors, a fire truck, a sail boat, a large play area filled with Tonka construction vehicles (my son is a big fan!) w/ covered picnic tables for shelter.
Admission & Hours
- Monday-Thursday 12-5pm
- Friday-Sunday 10-5pm
- $7.50/ guest age 2 yrs + older (cash or card)
Ways to Save
One year Season Pass $20 per/ person
Free plentiful perpendicular parking off the main road along the perimeter of the farm
Parking distance to entrance
Footsteps away if you park close to the main entrance
- Washrooms & several hand wash basins (w/ foot activation) on site with proper COVID precautions and social distancing rules in effect.
- No baby change table on site.
What to bring / wear
- Rainboots and light coat, stroller-friendly
- Water & snacks to keep hydrated, no store/shop on site
- When purchasing a large pumpkin, correctly guess the weight down to the decimal—you can have it for FREE!
- This is a real large property, perfect for social distancing—borrow one of their wheel barrels for easy transport of your find
Connie Hobbis is a Vancouver Mom of two who enjoys adventuring with her kids around BC (& beyond). Follow her on Instagram at @buddycons
The author behind @buddycons, Connie writes about her detailed adventures with her kids around BC (& beyond), believer of 'presence over presents' in motherhood & literacy development in children. She shares tips on traveling with ease with kids, home organization & gentle minimalism with having less. She lives in the Metro Vancouver area with her husband & two kiddos. Before becoming a mom, she worked in the Financial Industry and is a two-time award winning People Leader. Follow her adventures & updates on Instagram @buddycons.