It happens every year, doesn’t it? We make New Year’s resolutions, start out strong, and by the end of January we’ve either messed up or forgotten half of our good intentions. This year, after much thought, I’ve come up with some Downtown Vancouver-based resolutions worth keeping for 2012.
Resolutions to Move It, Move It
Getting into shape is a perennial item on almost everyone’s list of New Year’s resolutions, and is usually the first one to fall by the wayside. We can’t find the time, we don’t enjoy it, or we lose interest after a few weeks. To keep the motivation high, here are some suggestions for fun ways to move our bodies in Downtown Vancouver:
- Head to the barre! Try a Bar Method class for a challenging full-body workout that combines elements of dance and isometrics. A few classes in their Beatty Street studio will have you discovering muscles you didn’t know you had.
- Try a running clinic! With the Sun Run coming up on April 15th, now’s a great time to join a structured running class. Getting exercise with a group is a great way to stay motivated – Denman Street’s Running Room has a 10k training program that starts on February 8th.
- En garde! For something completely different, head to Academie Duello on West Hastings Street and learn the ways of swordcraft. Try a free lesson and see if you can’t work out some frustration, sword in hand.
Get Inspired, Try Something New
In a rut? The best way to get inspired is to learn something new, or try something you’ve never done before. These are some resolutions you’ll actually enjoy keeping.
- Maybe you always dreamed of being a ballet dancer, or maybe hip-hop is more your style. Harbour Dance on Granville Street offers adult classes at all levels in ballet, jazz, Bollywood, hip-hop and belly dancing, among others. Except for tap dance classes, no special equipment is necessary, and with most classes open to drop-in, you can get your So you Think you can Dance on without having to make a big commitment.
- Dreaming of travel, but life gets in the way? Have a little taste of adventure by taking a language class. UBC Continuing Studies at Robson Square offers introductory classes in French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin and Spanish.
- Bring out your inner Iron Chef with cooking classes at Dirty Apron on Beatty Street. Try French, Italian, or Japanese cooking, and learn basic knife skills. Or book a babysitter and head out for date night at one of their “It Takes Two” classes for couples.
Do Unto Others
Doing good feels good; as you help others, you help yourself. Why not make some resolutions to change your world for the better? Here are some Downtown Vancouver registered charities that can use your support year-round.
- The YWCA’s Crabtree Corner Family Resource Centre in the Downtown East Side provides services for women and children, including transitional housing, hot meal programs, and early childhood literacy. They’re always accepting donations of new toiletries, baby items, school supplies, and children’s wear, or you can make a financial donation online.
- Covenant House supports homeless teens in Downtown Vancouver with emergency shelter as well as counseling and basic life skills education. They are always looking for donations of new and used items, including non-perishable food, toiletries, and clothing, which can be dropped off at their location at the corner of Drake Street and Seymour Street.
- Intrepid Pens, a reading and writing society in the Downtown East Side, taps into the power of storytelling to bring about healing for women. They gratefully accept donations of books, writing supplies like notebooks and pens, bus passes, and tickets to local arts and culture events.
There you have it – what to do in Vancouver this January to move your body, feed your spirit, and offer much needed support your downtown community, as you make your New Year’s resolutions.
What about you – what New Year’s resolutions are you making this year?
Photo credit: little blue hen on Flickr