A little while ago, on a lark, we asked our Facebook fans where to find the best sushi in Vancouver. The comments immediately started pouring in. This shouldn’t have surprised us, because Vancouverites take their sushi seriously. We love it, and we eat a lot of it. With 35 different sushi restaurants recommended, we sensed that it was time to run another “Best of Vancouver” series. We tallied the suggestions and likes, we did a little research, and we came up with our 11 finalists.
Best of Vancouver Sushi – The Finalists
We’ve listed our finalists in alphabetical order. Which one deserves the title “Best of Vancouver Sushi”? You’ll be the judge. Here they are:
- Ajisai – In Kerrisdale, drop by 2081 W 42nd for your sushi fix. A perennial fixture on lists like this, it doesn’t accept reservations, and lots of people love it for lunch.
- The Eatery – It calls itself “the funkiest place for Japanese food”. On Facebook Teresa Beckley said they have “the best and most creative yummy sushi ever”. What do you think? www.theeatery.ca
- Hime Sushi – Stop by this spot at 315 East Broadway for seasonal inspirations and Vancouver mom-approved sushi. Haley Gurr said on Facebook that the sunny roll is a must-try. www.himesushi.com
- Kaide – Located at 1375 Richards, their website advertises “the best sushi in Vancouver”. That’s a big claim in a city like this. Will our readers agree, though? vancouverkaidesushi.com
- Kishimoto – If you’re in East Van and you’re craving sushi you may want to drop by this restaurant at 2054 Commercial Drive. Momoe Ikezawa Agno recommended it, and she added, “Trust me! I’m from Japan!”
- Miku – Located at 1055 West Broadway, this Coal Harbour restaurant serves Ocean Wise seafood. 2010 Top Vancouver Mom Blogger finalist Gillian Behnke calls them “DIVINE!” mikurestaurant.com
- ShuRaku – Drop by 833 Granville to check out this Vancouver sushi spot. Does it have what it takes to win Best of Vancouver? Time will tell. www.shuraku.net
- Sushiyama – You’ll find this one at 371 East Broadway, and many Vancouver moms feel it’s worth the visit. But is it the best? Cast your vote if you think so!
- Tojo’s – Located at 1133 West Broadway, this restaurant is often called the best in Vancouver. But do our readers agree? www.tojos.com
- Toshi Sushi – You can find this small but popular spot at 181 E 16th, at Main. Is it worth the wait in the line-up? You tell us.
- Yamoto Sushi – Stop by 616 Davie in Yaletown to check out this Vancouver sushi spot. On Facebook Kevin Janek said, “Super tiny place, awesome sushi.”
Which sushi spot is truly the Best of Vancouver? You can vote one time only, for up to three of your favourites, anytime until October 6, 2012. We’ll tally the results, and let you know who the overall winner is, shortly after.
Cast your vote here:
Amber Strocel is a writer, aspiring math teacher, suburbanite, wife and mom of two. She believes in the power of the Internet to connect people, and she believes that numbers are the poetry of the universe. You can often find her knitting, sewing, volunteering, working in her garden, and sneaking chocolate when no one's looking. She blogs at Strocel.com and shares her photos on Instagram as @AmberStrocel.