One festival, many neighbourhoods THE 26TH ANNUAL WINTER SOLSTICE LANTERN FESTIVAL SATURDAY DECEMBER 21, 2019 Seawall procession The dance of the sun and earth has inspired celebrations of the human spirit, expressed through art
One festival, many neighbourhoods
THE 26TH ANNUAL WINTER SOLSTICE LANTERN FESTIVAL
SATURDAY DECEMBER 21, 2019
The dance of the sun and earth has inspired celebrations of the human spirit, expressed through art and music, throughout the ages. Honouring many cultural traditions, the annual Winter Solstice Lantern Festival illuminates the darkest night of the year with lanterns, fire, singing, drumming, music, storytelling, and dancing!
Come celebrate this free community event with a glowing constellation of lanterns shining in three Vancouver neighbourhoods. Wherever you wind up, we hope you feel connected to your community and to the universal spirit of celebration!
1) The processions from Leg-In-Boot Square and H.R. MacMillan Space Centre begin at 6:00 PM
2) Granville Island procession musters at 6:00pm in Triangle Square with the Carnival Band and leaves at 6:20 PM .
3) Following indoor activities, the final procession leaves False Creek Community Centre at 9:15 PM and heads to the Fire Finale in Ron Basford Park at 9:30 PM.
Activities take place in both Performance Works (Labyrinth of Light) and the False Creek Community Centre from 6:00 – 10:00 PM.
1) A procession leaves The Gathering Place (609 Helmcken St.) at 6:00 PM and heads to the Roundhouse.
2) Following a last-minute lantern-making workshop at the Roundhouse (6:00 – 8:00 PM) , a family lantern procession heads into David Lam Park (8:00 – 8:30 PM).
The Roundhouse hosts indoor activities from 6:00 – 10:00 PM. The Fire Finale takes place on the Roundhouse Turntable at 9:30 PM.
We are thrilled to return to this wonderful neighbourhood with lantern workshops, music, storytelling and food in the Strathcona Community Centre.
Secrets are continually revealed. Please stay tuned for more info in the coming months.
A free family event, with some ticketed venues. Suggested donation of $5/person gratefully accepted.
(Saturday) 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm