Remembrance Day 2020 will look different than in past years. The Royal Canadian Legion office is asking spectators to watch online ceremonies and to remember in place (from home). Maple Ridge
Remembrance Day 2020 will look different than in past years. The Royal Canadian Legion office is asking spectators to watch online ceremonies and to remember in place (from home).
Maple Ridge Legion Branch #88 is developing an online, livestream presentation in place of our in-person parade and gathering in Memorial Peace Park. The broadcasted commemoration from Maple Ridge will be much smaller, with invited guests only. This will help to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and align with the Provincial Health Authority’s guidelines to limit large public gatherings. Let us honour our veterans through a virtual celebration.
Changes to this year’s commemoration include:
- No public event or veteran’s parade – please do not gather at Memorial Peace Park
- Spectators are asked to “Remember in Place” by staying home and watching the livestream
- Maple Ridge Legion Branch #88’s livestream ceremony starts at 10:45 AM
- Help show your support to veterans by posting a poppy in your front window of your residence and post a photo to you social media channels using #RememberInPlace and/or #PoppyInTheWindow
- If you do decide to visit the Cenotaph for personal memorials and/or to lay a wreath, please practice physical distancing, limit your time if others are waiting and wear a mask. Wreaths are to be removed by the respective residents and/or groups the following day (November 12) by 12:00 PM. City staff will be at the Memorial Peace Park Cenotaph from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM on November 11 to support those laying a wreath or paying their respects.