The snow has melted away and blossoms have been sighted in Vancouver’s West End! This can only mean one thing: it’s time to get out of our winter slump and spring into action! Here are a few ways you can improve your own health, the health of your family and the health of your greater community.
Increase veggie consumption
Here are some clever ways to get those optimal 3-5 servings.
- Add a green smoothie to your regular routine (factoid: even kids love smoothies)
- Replace your pasta or rice side-dish with a green leafy vegetables, such as sauteed swiss chard with garlic and onions.
- Check out some vegan blogs or cookbooks for plant-based meal inspiration.
- Eat plenty of cruciferous vegetables (kale, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts and cabbage). These veggies support the liver detox pathways that break down hormones.
- Eat plenty of colourful fruits and veggies, which are high in antioxidants and vitamins. Have them at the chopped and ready for the little ones.
Get out for a scenic nature walk with baby
Buy food locally
When you buy food locally, it helps build community, it’s better for the environment, the food it more nutritious and it even tastes better! In a nutshell, buying locally improves your own health and the health of everything around you. All it takes is a trip to the farmers market on the weekend or shopping seasonally at your local grocery story to do your part. Easy and delish.
Join a running group or sign up for a fun run
Remember those New Year’s resolutions to be more active and try new things? Well, here’s your chance to do both: sign up for a run! Here are 5 fun family friendly Vancouver runs, you do on your own or with the family. If you’ve never run before, join one of the many local running group and start with newbies.